$3million ‘Farm Safety Rebate Scheme’ launches in Victoria!
Last month the Victorian Government (through Agriculture Victoria) introduced the 'Farm Safety Rebate Scheme', pledging $3million to improve the safety of farming families, workers and visitors to Victorian farms.
Eligible farm businesses can now apply for rebates of up to $5000, to invest in infrastructure and equipment that makes Victorian farms safer, healthier places to work and live.
This new Government initiative is leading the way in making smart changes to farm workplaces, and improving the agricultural sector’s focus on safety. Despite having less than 2% of Victoria’s workforce, the agriculture sector accounts for 14% of the state’s workplace deaths. The Farm Safety Rebate Scheme aims to help Victorian farms become better, safer places to work, meaning healthier, more resilient rural and regional communities.
When launching the Scheme last month, Minister for Agriculture Mary-Anne Thomas stressed the fact that farms aren’t just workplaces, they’re also homes.
“Too many people are killed or injured on farms each year. We want to make sure that everyone that steps onto a farm gets to return home safely.”
“This new program is an easy way to make simple adjustments to farms so they’re safer, and workers can carry on with peace of mind,” she says.
The key facts you need to know…
- The Scheme is available to eligible farm businesses throughout the state of Victoria only. Scheme eligibility criteria can be found in the Farm Safety Rebate Scheme Guidelines.
- Rebates of up to $5,000 (excl. gst) are available to eligible farm businesses to improve safety.
- Rebates will require at least 50% cash co-contribution.
- Each farm business can only apply once for a rebate.
- A rebate can only be applied once on a farm property for the life of the Scheme.
- All eligible projects must be purchased and installed on or after the Scheme’s commencement date (from 25th February 2021).
- The Scheme will close 31 December 2021, or when all funds are allocated.
Smarter, Safer Farms:
The Farm Safety Rebate Scheme is a key part of delivering the Smarter, Safer Farms initiative; the Government’s $20 million pledge to improve the safety and skills of Victorian farmers, and strengthen the resilience of the agricultural sector. Over the next four years, ‘Smarter, Safer Farms’ will invest in initiatives that aim to...
- keep farmers, workers and families safe and well
- helps farmers make sound business and farm management decisions
- ensure farmers can prepare and be resilient through drought and other impacts of climate change support farmers to capture benefits of innovation
New equipment to consider:
Some examples of equipment and infrastructure that are eligible for the Farm Safety rebate include...
- child safety fencing
- animal handling equipment
- dedicated chemical storage sheds and wash stations
- emergency shut off switches
- reversing cameras for vehicles, and
- storage solutions - such as JACKY Bins!
Orion’s JACKY Bins are just one way that we are trying to help make farms safer for Australians, and facilitate initiatives such as the Farm Safety Rebate Scheme.
Designed by farmers, for farmers, our range of JACKY Bins are tough enough for any farm situation. They make rural work easier and faster, but more importantly SAFER! One example of this is that JACKY Bins help negate the use of ‘Bulk Bags’ on farms, which can be very dangerous in the event of broken or faulty bags.
The bins are ideal for handling a large range of products, including: grains, pellets, urea and seed fertiliser.
Additional resources & help:
Rural Finance – if you want to find out which projects are eligible and to apply for a rebate, contact Rural Finance on 1800 260 425 or click here to visit their website.
Victorian Government Support – for more information about this scheme, and other support being provided for farmers by the Victorian Government, contact Agriculture Victoria on 136 186 or visit agriculture.vic.gov.au
WorkSafe – for general advice relating to farm safety, please contact WorkSafe Victoria. on 1800 136 089 or visit worksafe.vic.gov.au